History of Planet Hollywood Las Vegas
The Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino is a landmark hotel and entertainment complex located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip. Known for its Hollywood-themed décor, world-class entertainment, and luxurious accommodations, Planet Hollywood has become an iconic destination for both tourists and celebrities alike. This history delves into the fascinating evolution of this star-studded resort, from its early beginnings to its current status as a premier Las Vegas attraction.
Before Planet Hollywood came to be, the site was home to the Aladdin Hotel and Casino, which first opened its doors in 1966. The Aladdin quickly gained fame for hosting extravagant performances by iconic artists such as Elvis Presley, who married Priscilla Beaulieu at the hotel in 1967. However, despite its early success, the Aladdin faced a series of financial struggles and ownership changes throughout the years.
In 1997, the original Aladdin building was imploded to make way for a new, larger resort. The new Aladdin Hotel and Casino, featuring an Arabian Nights theme, reopened in 2000. Unfortunately, the resort failed to make a significant impact in the competitive Las Vegas market and filed for bankruptcy just a year later.
In 2003, the Aladdin was acquired by a partnership between Starwood Hotels & Resorts and the entertainment company Planet Hollywood International, which was co-founded by actors Robert Earl and Bruce Willis. The new owners recognized the potential of the property and decided to transform it into a Hollywood-themed resort. The rebranding process began in 2004, with the official renaming of the property as the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino taking place in April 2007.
Planet Hollywood International brought its signature movie memorabilia and themed décor to the resort, creating an immersive Hollywood experience for guests. The resort underwent a $1 billion renovation, which saw the addition of new restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues, as well as the revamping of the hotel’s rooms and suites to reflect the glitz and glamour of Tinseltown.
PH Hotel Details
Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino is a dazzling entertainment hub that offers an immersive Hollywood experience for its guests. Boasting a vast array of amenities, including fine dining, high-end shopping, thrilling nightlife, and top-notch entertainment, Planet Hollywood is an ideal destination for those looking to experience the glitz and glamour of the iconic Sin City. This 1,500-word review will highlight the key aspects of the resort, including its rooms, dining options, entertainment, and overall atmosphere.
Fees at Planet Hollywood
Here’s a look at the common fees at PH Las Vegas:
- Resort Fee: $52.10/Night (includes Fitness Center, Gym & Local Calls)
- Deposit: $100 Per Night
- Covered self parking fee: $18.00 daily
- Valet parking fee: $30 daily (in/out privileges)
- Pet fee: $85.00 per room, nightly
- Service animals are exempt from fees
- Early check-in fee: $34.01 (subject to availability)
- Crib (infant bed) fee: $30 daily
- Rollaway bed fee: $30 per stay
Rooms & Suites at Planet Hollywood
Planet Hollywood offers a variety of accommodations to cater to its diverse clientele. Ranging from spacious standard rooms to luxurious suites, the hotel has something for everyone. Upon entering the room, you’re immediately struck by the sleek, modern design, featuring a Hollywood-inspired theme with stylish touches like framed movie posters and vibrant colors. The floor-to-ceiling windows offer spectacular views of the Las Vegas Strip or the surrounding mountains, depending on the room’s location.
Rooms are furnished with comfortable king or queen beds, outfitted with plush bedding and pillows. The amenities are generous, including a flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, coffee maker, and a spacious bathroom with a separate tub and shower. Upgraded suites offer additional space and amenities, such as living and dining areas, wet bars, and even private terraces with stunning views. The Panorama Suites, in particular, are worth mentioning for their breathtaking 180-degree views of the Strip and floor-to-ceiling windows that run the length of the room.
Let’s take a look at some of the popular room types available at Planet Hollywood:
- Hollywood Hip Room: The Hollywood Hip Room is a stylish and modern space featuring 450 square feet of living area. It comes with a king or two queen beds, a spacious bathroom, and floor-to-ceiling windows offering stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip or surrounding mountains. The room is adorned with movie-themed décor, creating an immersive Hollywood atmosphere.
- Ultra Hip Room: The Ultra Hip Room offers an upgraded version of the Hollywood Hip Room with chic design elements and contemporary furnishings. Spanning 450 square feet, the room comes with either one king or two queen beds, a luxurious bathroom, and floor-to-ceiling windows that showcase panoramic views of Las Vegas. The room’s Hollywood-inspired décor adds a touch of glamour to your stay.
- Ultra Resort Room: The Ultra Resort Room is a spacious, 585-square-foot accommodation option with either one king or two queen beds. It features a separate sitting area with a sofa, a stylish bathroom with a separate shower and soaking tub, and floor-to-ceiling windows that offer sweeping views of the Las Vegas Strip or surrounding mountains. The room’s movie-themed décor adds to the overall luxurious ambiance.
- Ultra Panorama Suite: The Ultra Panorama Suite is a stunning, 1,255-square-foot suite with floor-to-ceiling windows offering breathtaking 180-degree views of the Las Vegas Strip. The suite features a separate bedroom with a king bed, a spacious living area, a dining area, and a modern bathroom with a separate shower and soaking tub. The suite’s contemporary design and Hollywood-inspired décor make it an ideal choice for a luxurious and memorable stay.
- Ultra Boulevard Suite: The Ultra Boulevard Suite is a spacious, 1,800-square-foot suite designed for ultimate comfort and luxury. The suite includes a separate bedroom with a king bed, a living room, a dining area, and a wet bar. The bathroom features a double vanity, a separate shower, and a soaking tub. The suite’s floor-to-ceiling windows provide stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip, and its Hollywood-inspired décor adds a touch of glamour.
- Ultra Apex Suite: The Ultra Apex Suite is a lavish, 2,000-square-foot suite that boasts panoramic views of the Las Vegas Strip through its floor-to-ceiling windows. The suite features a separate bedroom with a king bed, a living room with a sofa, a dining area, and a wet bar. The luxurious bathroom includes a double vanity, a separate shower, and a soaking tub. The Ultra Apex Suite’s sophisticated design and Hollywood-themed décor make it an ideal choice for an unforgettable stay.
Planet Hollywood boasts a wide array of dining options, with over 15 restaurants and cafés available to cater to various tastes and budgets. One of the most notable establishments is the award-winning Gordon Ramsay Burger, where you can indulge in gourmet burgers crafted by the renowned celebrity chef. With its inventive burger combinations, creative milkshakes, and stylish décor, it’s no wonder the restaurant is a must-visit for foodies.
Other on-site dining options include the trendy Strip House steakhouse, which offers a unique spin on the classic American steakhouse experience. With its sultry atmosphere and perfectly cooked steaks, it’s a great option for a romantic dinner or a special occasion. For those craving Asian cuisine, the Koi Las Vegas provides a chic setting, offering a fusion of Japanese and Californian flavors in dishes such as sushi, sashimi, and miso-bronzed black cod.
For casual dining, guests can visit the Spice Market Buffet, which offers a wide selection of dishes from around the world. The buffet features live cooking stations and an extensive dessert bar, making it a favorite among families and large groups. Guests can also choose from a variety of fast-food options, such as Starbucks, Pink’s Hot Dogs, and Earl of Sandwich, which are conveniently located within the Miracle Mile Shops. Here’s a list of popular restaurants at Planet Hollywood:
- Gordon Ramsay Burger: Gordon Ramsay Burger, helmed by the renowned celebrity chef, offers a gourmet burger experience with inventive combinations and unique flavors. The menu features a variety of burgers, creative milkshakes, and a selection of appetizers and sides. The stylish décor and lively atmosphere make it a must-visit destination for food enthusiasts.
- Strip House: Strip House is a contemporary steakhouse that puts a unique spin on the classic American steakhouse experience. The menu features perfectly cooked steaks, mouthwatering sides, and an extensive wine list. The sultry atmosphere, complete with rich, red decor and vintage black-and-white photographs, creates an intimate setting perfect for a romantic dinner or a special occasion.
- Koi Las Vegas: Koi Las Vegas is a chic, upscale restaurant offering a fusion of Japanese and Californian flavors. The menu includes sushi, sashimi, and signature dishes like miso-bronzed black cod. The modern interior design, with its warm, earthy tones and sleek lines, creates an elegant dining atmosphere.
- YOLOS Mexican Grill: YOLOS Mexican Grill serves up authentic Mexican cuisine with a modern twist. The menu includes a variety of flavorful dishes, such as tacos, enchiladas, and fajitas, as well as an impressive selection of tequilas and margaritas. The vibrant décor and lively atmosphere make it a great spot for a fun dining experience.
- Ringer Wings, Pizza & Sliders: Ringer Wings, Pizza & Sliders is a casual dining option offering a variety of comfort foods, including wings, pizza, and sliders. The sports bar atmosphere, complete with flat-screen TVs for game viewing, makes it an ideal spot for a relaxed meal with friends or family.
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro: P.F. Chang’s China Bistro is a popular chain restaurant offering a diverse menu of Chinese and Asian-inspired dishes. The menu includes favorites like Kung Pao Chicken, Mongolian Beef, and Chang’s Lettuce Wraps. The contemporary décor and attentive service create a pleasant dining experience.
- Earl of Sandwich: Earl of Sandwich is a casual dining option that serves up a variety of delicious sandwiches, wraps, salads, and soups. Known for its fresh ingredients and inventive combinations, the eatery is a favorite among those seeking a quick and satisfying meal.
- Spice Market Buffet: The Spice Market Buffet is an expansive buffet restaurant offering a wide selection of dishes from around the world. With live cooking stations, an extensive dessert bar, and a variety of options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the buffet is a popular choice for families and large groups.
- Pin-Up Pizza: Pin-Up Pizza serves up authentic New York-style pizza by the slice, with a variety of toppings to choose from. The retro-themed décor, inspired by classic pin-up art, adds a touch of nostalgia to the dining experience.
- Starbucks: The on-site Starbucks provides guests with their favorite coffee beverages, pastries, and snacks. It’s a convenient option for a quick breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up.
Planet Hollywood truly shines when it comes to entertainment. The resort is home to the Zappos Theater, which has hosted a variety of world-class acts, including residencies by Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, and Gwen Stefani. With its state-of-the-art sound system and impressive visual effects, the theater guarantees an unforgettable show experience.
Another notable entertainment offering is the resident magic show, “Criss Angel: MINDFREAK,” which showcases the illusionist’s groundbreaking magic tricks in a visually stunning performance. For those interested in live music, the Extra Lounge offers nightly performances by local bands and DJs, creating a lively atmosphere perfect for dancing the night away.
The resort’s casino is also worth mentioning, as it offers a dynamic gaming experience with over 1,200 slot machines and 100 table games, including blackjack, roulette, and poker. The casino’s layout is spacious and well-lit, with friendly staff on hand to assist both seasoned players and newcomers. The Pleasure Pit, a unique gaming area within the casino, adds a touch of glamour to the gaming experience by featuring live dancers and models as dealers, ensuring a truly unforgettable night.
Connected to the hotel is the Miracle Mile Shops, an indoor shopping mall that features over 170 stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues. The mall offers a wide range of shopping options, from popular high-street brands like H&M and Sephora to high-end boutiques like Marciano and Tommy Bahama. The mall’s unique design, which mimics an outdoor streetscape complete with a painted sky, adds a touch of whimsy to the shopping experience.
Wellness and Recreation
For those looking to relax and rejuvenate, the Planet Hollywood Spa by Mandara is a must-visit. The spa offers a serene environment with a wide range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps, as well as unique experiences like the Bali-inspired “Mandara Ritual for Two.” The spa also features a full-service salon, perfect for prepping for a night out on the Strip.
Guests seeking an active vacation can make use of the resort’s fitness center, which is equipped with state-of-the-art cardio and weight training equipment. The hotel also boasts two outdoor pools, including the main pool with its energetic atmosphere and DJ-spun tunes, as well as the more secluded, adults-only pool for those seeking a quieter retreat.
Service and Staff
The service at Planet Hollywood is attentive and professional, with friendly staff always eager to assist guests. The check-in process is typically smooth and efficient, and the concierge desk is a valuable resource for securing dinner reservations, show tickets, or transportation around the city. Housekeeping is prompt and thorough, ensuring that rooms are always kept clean and well-stocked.
Planet Hollywood offers a range of accessible facilities and services for guests with disabilities. The hotel features designated accessible parking, wheelchair-accessible rooms and suites with roll-in showers, and visual and auditory aids for hearing-impaired guests. The resort’s public spaces, including the casino, restaurants, and entertainment venues, are also designed to accommodate guests with mobility challenges.
PH Summary & FAQs
The Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino is a true entertainment destination, offering guests a taste of Hollywood glamour and excitement right in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip. With its stylish accommodations, diverse dining options, thrilling entertainment, and stellar service, it’s no wonder the resort has become a favorite among both first-time visitors and seasoned Vegas travelers.
Whether you’re in town for business or pleasure, Planet Hollywood offers an unforgettable Las Vegas experience that’s sure to impress. From its world-class shows and expansive casino to its luxurious spa and unparalleled shopping, Planet Hollywood is truly a star-studded destination that has something for everyone.
Q. What is the check-in and check-out time at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas?
A. Check-in time at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas is 4:00 PM, while check-out time is 11:00 AM. Early check-in and late check-out options may be available upon request and are subject to availability and additional fees.
Q. What’s Planet Hollywood Las Vegas known for?
A. PH Las Vegas is known to be an affordable hotel on the strip with a relaxed party vibe.
Q. When was Planet Hollywood last renovated?
A. The last renovations at PH were completed in 2017 however soom rooms have not been updated since 2007.
Q. Is Planet Hollywood Las Vegas pool open year round?
A. No it’s not. The pool is open daily 10am to 6pm during pool season, typically March to October each year.
Q. Is Planet Hollywood an expensive hotel?
A. Generally no it’s not and it’s considered one of the best value hotels on the Las Vegas strip.