History of The Wynn & Encore Las Vegas
The Wynn and Encore hotels stand as glittering beacons of opulence and sophistication in the heart of Las Vegas, Nevada. These sister resorts, developed by renowned casino mogul Steve Wynn, have helped to redefine the city’s landscape and elevate its reputation as a luxury destination. This article will explore the history of these iconic hotels, from their groundbreaking origins to the present day.
The story of the Wynn Las Vegas began when Steve Wynn, then the chairman and CEO of Mirage Resorts, acquired the Desert Inn property in 2000. After demolishing the historic hotel and casino, he embarked on a mission to create a new era of luxury in Las Vegas, one that would surpass the grandeur of his previous projects, including the Mirage and Bellagio.
In April 2005, the $2.7 billion Wynn Las Vegas opened its doors, instantly becoming a symbol of sophistication and high-end hospitality. The resort featured 2,716 rooms and suites, an 111,000 square-foot casino, a convention center, a shopping center, numerous fine-dining establishments, and an 18-hole golf course designed by Tom Fazio.
A striking feature of the Wynn Las Vegas is its 140-foot man-made mountain, which conceals the hotel from the famous Las Vegas Strip. This unique design element creates an air of exclusivity and seclusion, setting the Wynn apart from its competitors. The hotel’s dramatic exterior, designed by architect Jon Jerde, is characterized by sleek, curved lines and a rich bronze color.
The Wynn Las Vegas has received numerous accolades over the years, including the prestigious AAA Five Diamond award and the Forbes Five-Star rating. These distinctions cemented the resort’s reputation as one of the finest hotels in the world.
As the Wynn Las Vegas continued to thrive, Steve Wynn set his sights on an ambitious expansion project: a luxurious sister resort located directly adjacent to the original hotel. This new property, called the Encore, was designed to amplify the Wynn brand’s commitment to elegance and extravagance.
The Encore debuted in December 2008, with a price tag of $2.3 billion. The resort featured 2,034 rooms and suites, an expansive casino, a shopping center, fine-dining restaurants, and a luxurious spa. The design of the Encore mirrored that of the Wynn, with its sleek, curvilinear exterior and opulent interiors. The two hotels are connected by an elegantly landscaped shopping promenade, which houses high-end boutiques and world-class dining establishments.
One of the standout features of the Encore is its exclusive nightclub, XS, which quickly became a hotspot for celebrities and high rollers. The 40,000 square-foot venue features an indoor dance floor, an outdoor pool area, and luxurious cabanas, creating the ultimate party destination.
Wynn & Encore Hotel Details
Rooms at Wynn & Encore
The accommodations at Wynn/Encore Las Vegas are the epitome of sophistication, with spacious rooms and suites featuring plush bedding, floor-to-ceiling windows, and state-of-the-art technology. The elegant décor and attention to detail create an ambiance of unparalleled comfort and luxury. Each room offers stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip or the resort’s lush gardens and golf course. For an even more exclusive experience, guests can opt for a stay in one of the luxurious Tower Suites or Villas, where personal butler service and private entrances provide an elevated level of privacy and pampering. Below is an overview of the various room types available to guests in both the Wynn and Encore hotels.
- Wynn Deluxe Resort Room: This 640 sq ft room features floor-to-ceiling windows, a king or two double pillow-top beds, a seating area, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath.
- Wynn Deluxe Panoramic View Room: This 640 sq ft room offers stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip or valley from the floor-to-ceiling windows. The room includes a king or two double pillow-top beds, a seating area, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath.
- Wynn Tower Suite Room: This 640 sq ft suite offers an exclusive tower entrance and registration lobby, a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, a separate living room, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Wynn Executive Suite: This 933 sq ft suite features a separate living room, a bedroom with a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Wynn Tower Suite Parlor: This 1,280 sq ft suite includes a separate living room, a dining area, a bedroom with a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Wynn Tower Suite Salon: This 1,817 sq ft suite offers a spacious living room, a dining area, a bedroom with a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, a massage room, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Encore Resort Room: This 745 sq ft room features floor-to-ceiling windows, a king or two queen pillow-top beds, a seating area, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath.
- Encore Panoramic View Room: This 745 sq ft room offers stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip or valley from the floor-to-ceiling windows. The room includes a king or two queen pillow-top beds, a seating area, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath.
- Encore Tower Suite Room: This 745 sq ft suite provides an exclusive tower entrance and registration lobby, a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, a separate living room, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Encore Tower Suite Parlor: This 1,408 sq ft suite features a separate living room, a dining area, a bedroom with a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Encore Tower Suite Salon: This 2,261 sq ft suite includes a spacious living room, a dining area, a bedroom with a king pillow-top bed, a work desk, a massage room, and a luxurious bathroom with an oversized marble bath and separate glass-enclosed shower.
- Encore Three Bedroom Duplex: This 5,829 sq ft duplex offers two-story windows with stunning views of the Las Vegas Strip, a living room, a dining room, a game room, a private massage room, three bedrooms with king pillow-top beds, and luxurious bathrooms with oversized marble baths and separate glass-enclosed showers.
Wynn/Encore Las Vegas is a food lover’s paradise, offering a diverse array of culinary experiences from casual fare to Michelin-starred fine dining. Celebrity chefs and world-class culinary talent have flocked to the resorts, providing guests with a unique and exceptional dining experience. Options include Sinatra, an Italian-American fine dining establishment that pays homage to the legendary Frank Sinatra, and Mizumi, a contemporary Japanese restaurant with an enchanting atmosphere, complete with a private pagoda table overlooking a koi pond. For those seeking a more casual atmosphere, The Buffet at Wynn offers an extensive selection of gourmet dishes from around the world in a luxurious setting.
Wynn Las Vegas Restaurants:
- SW Steakhouse: A modern American steakhouse offering prime steaks, seafood, and a selection of more than 1,000 wine labels in a sophisticated, elegant atmosphere.
- Lakeside: Offering exceptional seafood dishes prepared with a Hawaiian touch, Lakeside is a perfect spot for an upscale dining experience overlooking the Lake of Dreams.
- Mizumi: This award-winning Japanese restaurant features sushi, sashimi, and teppanyaki offerings in a contemporary and stylish setting with a view of a private Japanese garden.
- Costa di Mare: Renowned for its fresh Mediterranean seafood and Italian coastal cuisine, Costa di Mare offers an elegant dining experience with a romantic lagoon and private cabanas.
- Wing Lei: This Michelin-starred restaurant combines Chinese flavors with Western culinary techniques, offering a unique and luxurious dining experience.
- Sinatra: A tribute to Frank Sinatra, this classic Italian restaurant serves traditional Italian cuisine with an upscale twist, surrounded by memorabilia of the legendary singer.
- Tableau: An elegant and contemporary restaurant offering modern American cuisine with a focus on seasonal ingredients, Tableau is perfect for breakfast or lunch.
- The Buffet at Wynn: A high-end buffet featuring 15 live-action cooking stations and an assortment of dishes from around the world, including seafood, sushi, prime rib, and desserts.
Encore Las Vegas Restaurants:
- Jardin: An enchanting garden-themed restaurant offering a variety of American favorites, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner options in a bright and inviting atmosphere.
- Sinatra: The sister restaurant to Wynn’s Sinatra, this sophisticated Italian restaurant continues the tribute to Frank Sinatra, offering classic Italian dishes with a contemporary twist.
- Wazuzu: A Pan-Asian bistro featuring dishes from China, Japan, and Thailand, Wazuzu offers a vibrant and modern dining experience with a 27-foot crystal dragon centerpiece.
- La Cave Wine & Food Hideaway: A stylish and intimate wine bar offering a selection of small plates, charcuterie, and over 250 wine selections from around the world.
- Andrea’s: A contemporary Asian-inspired restaurant, Andrea’s offers a unique fusion of flavors, including sushi, seafood, and steaks in a sleek and sophisticated setting.
- Society Café: A lively and casual café offering a variety of American classics, including burgers, salads, and sandwiches in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
The entertainment options at Wynn/Encore Las Vegas are nothing short of spectacular. The resorts are home to some of the most breathtaking shows on the Strip, including Le Rêve – The Dream, an aquatic acrobatic spectacle that takes place in an impressive custom-built theater. Nightlife enthusiasts will be thrilled with the variety of venues, including XS Nightclub, one of the most exclusive and extravagant clubs in Las Vegas, and the sophisticated Encore Beach Club, which transforms into a vibrant nighttime pool party.
Fashionistas and luxury aficionados will find a haven at the Wynn/Encore Las Vegas shopping esplanades. Featuring an assortment of high-end designer boutiques such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Alexander McQueen, guests can indulge in a one-of-a-kind shopping experience. The Wynn Plaza Shops and the Encore Esplanade also offer a curated selection of upscale dining and luxury brands, catering to even the most discerning shoppers.
In addition to world-class accommodations, dining, and entertainment, Wynn/Encore Las Vegas offers a wealth of amenities designed to cater to the needs and desires of every guest. The resort complex features an 18-hole championship golf course, perfect for enthusiasts looking to tee off amidst the lush landscapes. Guests can also unwind at the Spa at Wynn or the Spa at Encore, indulging in an array of rejuvenating treatments and therapies. Those looking to maintain their fitness routine during their stay can take advantage of the state-of-the-art fitness centers, complete with personal trainers and a variety of exercise classes.
Wynn & Encore Overall
Wynn/Encore Las Vegas is an extraordinary resort complex that offers an unparalleled experience in luxury, elegance, and sophistication. With exceptional accommodations, world-class dining, thrilling entertainment, and an array of amenities designed to cater to every guest’s desires, a stay at Wynn/Encore Las Vegas promises to be an unforgettable experience